Tuesday, March 17, 2009

15mm Essex Range

Bob from Nottingham commissioned me to paint some Essex figures for his FoG Turkish army and his early imperial Romans.

I found the Essex figures a little tougher to paint than Old Glory ancients.  The OG figures are sculpted with deep relief, which really helps my painting style.  The Essex figures were much flatter, and I had to work harder to make the shading and highlighting pop.

After painting 64 infantry and 24 cavalry for this commission, I feel like I have a good idea of the quality of their range.  The figures are nice, but the detail is a little too fine for my taste.  Painting them is hard work, but they do look nice when they're done.




1 comment:

  1. I have a respectable amount of Essex miniatures, and I agree 100% with your assessment of them.

    You've done a mighty fine job painting them up!

    GregS

    ReplyDelete