I finished terraining the bases of my rank and file last night. I'll wait on the command stands until I have some GMB flags for them.
The figure basing scheme I'm using is the same as for my American Civil War figures. Close order infantry get four figures on a 30mmx40mm Litko base. This gives only 15mm of frontage per figure, which is a pretty tight fit, but it accomplishes two goals.
First I get that close order, shoulder-to-shoulder look that many horse and musket wargames armies don't have. My 28mm Napoleonic armies, for example, based for Piquet, have three infantry figures on a 40mm square base. They end up looking like a reinforced skirmish line, rather than a dense, ordered formation of infantry. These Continentals (and my ACW regiments) are much denser.
Second, I can really pack the troops on my 9'x5' table. My 15mm figures are also four to a stand, but their stands are 25mm square. My 28mm troops take up only an additional 5mm of frontage, which means I can fight big battles and use almost the same number of 28mm troops as 15mm troops.
My ACW infantry have a very simple terrain scheme on their bases. I started by laying down a layer of Woodland Sceneics dark brown medium ballast. I drybrushed the ballast with light chocolate paint, then used white glue to affix bright green static grass.
I mixed that up a bit for my AWI figures. I used Woodland Scenics light brown fine ballast with no drybrush, added the static grass, and affixed some scatter with tacky glue. The scatter is a mix of medium talus (stained with a burnt umber oil wash), medium green clump foliage, and Silflor late summer prairie tufts. I think it gives a lot more texture to the base, but you can judge for yourself with these comparison shots. Click on the photos to get larger images.
I may start adding some leafed and dead branches as well once I base my Perry figures. I need to hunt for some good looking twigs.