Friday, June 19, 2015

Starting Giant Commission -- French Line Infantry Command and Elites

About a month back, Glenn Drover, for whom I have painted several 28mm armies, emailed to tell me he was selling off his Napoleonics and switching to 15mm.  Would I be interested in taking on the job?  I agreed, and thus I started a project that will take a year or more: all of the Napoleonic Wars combatants with 15mm AB Miniatures, a total of about 3,000 foot, 1,000 horse, and 100 guns.

I started with the French infantry, since their uniform always seems to take me the longest to paint.  Yesterday I put the finishing touches on my first batch of 144 figures.  These are the fusilier command and elite companies.

Eagle Bearers




Drummers



Officers



Sergeants



Voltiguers and Grenadiers







As always, AB Miniatures are a treat to paint.  No one makes better looking figures in any scale.  The flags are from GMB.  I cut away the cast flagpoles, drilled out hands and eagles, and inserted brass rod.

Now I am tackling 211 French fusiliers in one go.

21 comments:

  1. DAYUM! Thats a helluva load you are taking on!!! But cool painting so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm crazy for taking this on, right? But I do like painting AB figures.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I went with a shade just a touch lighter than usual with the blue highlights, and I think it really helps them pop.

      Delete
  3. They look amazing, as always! Really, truly. And the speed with which you complete them is a marvel. This batch would have taken me months...and they wouldn't have looked this good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenn, what did you do with your 25s that Scott painted earlier?

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Glenn! Hopefully I can keep up the same pace, or even a little faster. The Frenchies always seem to take the longest.

      Delete
  4. Awesome work! guessing you will be basing the figures for Glenn as well?

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. Infantry will be based six figures to a 40mm by 25mm stand.

      Delete
  5. Massive undertaking! You are never shy about tackling large painting tasks. 144 figures at a time? Amazing! Colors are vibrant and the GMB flags do look outstanding.

    Excellent stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon. It is indeed massive. I have another 200+ on my painting table at the moment. Today I am painting hair.

      Delete
  6. Amost impressive project. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It will be a lot of work, but a lot of fun as well.

      Delete
  7. Outstanding
    I am looking at painting some Napoleonic French (15mm Old Glory)
    I will use your standard as an inspirational piece

    Well done

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jonathan - i sold my Napoleonics to a collector/ gamer in Portland. I drove them from Chicago to Salt Lake and met her (yes HER!!!) there to hand off the collection so that it would be in good shape. I still have the Civil War and Punic War and AWI armies that Scott painted for me.

    ReplyDelete