Monday, July 11, 2016

Giant Commission -- Russian Infantry Command

Last night I finished 60 more figures for Glenn's Russian army.  In addition to the last 6 musketeers, I was able to complete these 54 command figures.

First up are the standard bearers.  One has a bare pole as I wait for a flag.  All the flags are from GMB.



The officers look especially sharp.  Some wear grey overalls, and some wear the same stockings as the enlisted men.



The drummers were the trickiest to paint.  12 of them have shoulder wings, and I went ahead and painted the tooth design on the drum rims.



I have 150 grenadiers primed and ready to go!

9 comments:

  1. As always, the details are amazing!
    These figures really come to life with your skilled paintwork and fine touch on the flags.
    Stunning and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fine brushwork, Scott! GMB flags are vibrant and accent your Russians perfectly. In the early Russian Army, flag staffs and drum sticks were colored based on regiment. Did this practice fall out of favor by 1812?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my sources are admittedly limited. I have Hourtoulle's "Borodino," Haythornthwaite's "Uniforms of Napoleon's Russian Campaign,' Haythornthwaite's "Napoleonic Source Book," and Funcken's "Arms and Uniforms." I can't find any examples there of colored flag staffs or drumsticks in 1812. Everything looks a uniform dark walnut.

      I suspect a change may have occurred in 1807, when the inspection colors were abolished. That's just an educated guess, though.

      Delete
    2. I missed one out there - Digby Smith's "Uniforms of the Napoleonic Wars." It doesn't mention colored flag staffs either. It does show one post-1807 drummer with light brown drumsticks. Hmm.

      Delete
  3. I checked a couple of good sources and found one mention: It said that the poles for the 1803 pattern were black, but before that they were brown or yellow. I think that brown looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're happy with brown, I'm happy with brown! :-)

      Delete
  4. Absolutely lovely as usual Scott!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christopher! The grenadiers are coming along nicely.

      Delete