Friday, July 13, 2018

28mm Carthaginian Chariots

Way back in 2012, I painted Punic Wars armies for Glenn to use in his Commands and Colors games.  Glenn sold those armies to a nice fellow named Doug, and Doug asked me to paint some chariots to supplement those armies.  I tried to match the style and palette I used six years ago, and I think I got it pretty much right.








The chariots are from SHQ (ex-Newline), and they were a beast to build and paint.  Construction required me to have three or four hands just to keep the parts flush with each other while the glue dried.  I used five minute epoxy on most everything, so these models should stay together, but it did require me to sit like a statue, applying constant pressure for 5 minute intervals.  Many of the pieces did not mate well, and I spent a lot of time filing attachment points, hand drilling holes, and inserting pins.  The men are well sculpted, but the detail on the horses was soft.

Still, they do paint up nicely, and these eight chariots should vie with the elephants for spectacle in Doug's Carthaginian army.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful and impressive chariots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil! I wanted to make them stand out on the table.

      Delete
  2. Putting chariots together is no fun, at all. I laughed envisioning you performing your five minute statue routine.

    Still, results are splendid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent the better part of a week just assembling these beasts! I don't know how you had the patience to do a whole chariot army.

      Delete
  3. Very nice as always, Scott. Interesting history of this army changing owners too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a sweet looking army, and I hope Doug gets many years of happy gaming out of it!

      Delete
  4. Great results and yes chariots can be a pian.

    Cheers Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross! Jon (above) tried to talk me into building something to fight his Assyrians. I don't know if I have the fortitude!

      Delete
    2. Of course you have the fortitude!

      Delete