Saturday, December 15, 2018

168 Man Project, Day 8

I was able to put the finishing touches on the 168 figures last night.




It's not a brilliant paint job, but it will do.  I have a hard time even imagining what a brilliant paint job would look like on figures in greatcoats.  There just are not a lot of colors to work with.

I had some help during my painting: four "new" Paul McCartney records, new in that they are newly re-released.  Three of these are double albums, with each second record full of demos and outtakes.  I usually listen to lectures of podcasts while I paint, but I really enjoyed listening to my new records this time.


I said the paint job would do, but in fact, once the figures were all based in their ranks, the paint job looked really good.  These should really pop on the table top.


In the top right of the previous picture, you can see the officers and musicians I painted in this batch.  I didn't base them because I didn't paint standard bearers yet.

Here are the standard bearers, prepped and washed.  When I was prepping figures, I could not find my pin vise anywhere, and I needed it to drill out their hands. After searching for a few days, I gave up and ordered a replacement.  The day after it arrived, my son told me he had used the pin vise in working on a model.  There it was, tucked into the model's box.


I drilled out the standard bearers hands, only to find that I was down to three 100mm spears to use as flag poles.  Sigh.  I made an order with Brigade Games, and the spears you see above are the result.

While I was ordering spears, I thought I had better check to make sure that I had enough flags for these figures.  I went to my giant stack of GMB flags and found ... no ACW Union infantry flags for 28mm figures.  Right now I am waiting on a GMB order.  Hopefully it arrives soon.


I will wait until the command stands are done before I start flocking bases.

18 comments:

  1. Well done... that's more figures in one go than I've painted in the last 5 years!

    PS. Going to see McCartney at the O2 in London tonight.. whoop whoop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very jealous. I wanted to catch him during one of his US dates in 2019, but I don't think I'll have the scratch.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To finish off such a high number of 28mm in so short a time is absolutely impressive Scott. Great job!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Mike! I really like how they turned out, too.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Dean! They make for almost four feet of troops when they are in line!

      Delete
  4. Great work. I noted your comment about washing the figures. I have knows others to do this (some with vinegar) but for the last 40 years have not bothered with that step. Is it necessary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I have skipped the step, I have regretted it. Most casters use some kind of powder or grease as a mold release agent, and the primer does not seem to get a good grip on the metal unless I wash that agent away.

      Delete
    2. I have skipped the step in the past, and the result is that I have some figures with bare metal showing through the paint on raised areas. Sometimes it chips away, and sometimes it gets rubbed off.

      Delete
    3. I have never encountered that problem, but might well heed your advice. All the best. I love your blog.

      Delete
  5. Looking good, and once the command, basing, and flags are done, they will pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! I'm hoping the flags arrive soon, and I can finish these off by the end of the month.

      Delete
  6. Really impressive output of great figures! So,on the sticks you paint 4 28mm figures at one go? I guess it reduces the handling time, I'm mostly painting non uniform types but I'll have to remember it for future reference!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does reduce handling time, and it also lets me hold figures better than a bottle cap would. I can better angles with my brush.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on another highly productive painting year, Scott! Looking forward to seeing what you will be showing up in 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through my life weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how I could be transformed into a powerful person when I came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete