Friday, December 18, 2009

More Gauls

It took a week and a half, but I managed to finish another piece of my Field of Glory Carthaginian army, a unit of 32 Gauls.

I don't really know how to feel about Gauls, or Celts, or whatever you want to call them. Painting them well requires painstaking work, picking out check patterns and stripes, and even though I use shield transfers, the spines and edges of the shields require highlights as well. I vary my colors as much as I can, while still trying to keep the colors very bright.

After putting in all this work, I get some of the most colorful troops you'll find on any ancient battlefield. These guys always look great. And then they always die in droves. I'm left wondering why I spent so much time painting every colorful detail.



The figures are Old Glory, from the "Caesar in Gaul" range. The spears are from North Star, and the shield transfers are from Little Big Men.

These are heavy infantry in the Field of Glory rules, and they should have bases 20mm deep. I've never been able to comfortably fit Gauls on anything less than 25mm depth. These bases and 30mm deep, and I'm toying with putting all of my FoG heavy foot on these deep bases. I like the look.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice work. Made me look forward to doing the celtiberians and gauls I have piling up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely! Especially the way you vary the patterns - gives me some idea of how to do them. If I ever have to; fortunately, someone else at our club already has Gauls, and I'm kind of hoping I don't need to acquire any of my own for a while yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. How can you do such nice work on such elaborately colored models, together with hand painted shield design, so quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that you seem to have comfortably fitted four figures across the 60mm base width. These days that is hard for the "28mm" figures - I have some Black Tree and Renegade figures that I will have to base three to a base, and may do that with all my Celts. I have always like dthese Old Glory figures - my favourite pack is the "bare-chested, no helmets warriors" from this Gallic Wars range - some very scary looking charging Celts. Personally, I much prefer them to the charging plastic Celts that Warlord do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Richard,

    It is possible to fit the bigger figures, e.g. Renegades and BTDs on a 60mm base, as long as the depth is increased (to 30mm). Most of my units have 4 figures to the base:-

    http://bigredbat.blogspot.com/2009/01/celtic-army-en-masse.html

    Cheers, Simon

    ReplyDelete