Today I set up all the figures for final sealing. I had been waiting for a nice, sunny day with no breezes.
That's a ten foot by three foot table, and the figures take up a great deal of that space.
I like to seal with Testor's Dullcote, which has a dead flat finish (most of the time) and dries very hard, protecting the figures from chips and rubbing.
I used enamel paints for all the metals. Dullcote is an enamel spray, so it can cause enamel paints to run.
So I broke out the airbrush and sprayed everything liberally with a flat clear acrylic. I hit the figures from eight different angles, so it took a long time.
I gave the figures about ten minutes to dry. The sun really helped. Once I was sure the thin layer of acrylic paint had dried, I hit them with Dullcote.
It took three full cans of Dullcote to cover this many figures! They should be able to endure frequent handling now. In fact, I am pretty sure these paint jobs will be pristine when a future archaeologist unearths them from the ruins of old America.
For some reason -- maybe the heat, maybe the humidity (77%), maybe the flat acrylic -- these figures look even better than usual after the Dullcote. It's a crapshoot, really, which is why I usually do not seal figures on commission. Fortunately they really turned out well this time.
I'll be packing the figures this weekend. It's always tricky to ship this much lead without getting some broken bayonets and swords, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve.