Tuesday, August 14, 2018

More 3mm Napoleonics

As I continue to experiment with smaller scales, I have settled on 60mm by 30mm bases.  Whether I land on 3mm or 6mm, this base size seems just right.

Today we have another infantry unit, this time of 79 figures.  We also have here a cavalry brigade made up of the 1st and 2nd hussars.  There are 30 horse on this base with plenty of empty space.


I was able to streamline my painting a bit on these figures without sacrificing detail.  I am VERY pleased with how everything turned out.  This set of figures used up my remaining stock of 3mm castings, so I will have to place an order if I want to take this project any further.  I still do not have a specific rules set in mind for these.  I suppose either Blucher or Snappy Nappy would work, but I may want to try my own hand at rules design.


These figures really are tiny.  Here they are next to an AB Miniatures French hussar.  I hope this gives you an idea just how they compare to 15mm figures!


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I don't think they would ever replace my 15mm armies, but it does make a nice change of pace to work in some smaller figures.

      Delete
  2. They look OK, but I have to say that sizes smaller than 10 mm really lose something, IMHO, especially when we know what you're capable of of!
    Still you need only please yourself, which is one of the great things with our hobby.
    They would certainly work well with Snappy Nappy or Blucher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be happy to hear that I spent today finishing up 37 mounted French generals ... in 15mm.

      Delete
  3. As I said this weekend, I like your 3s especially the manner in which they are based. Looks like a full body of troops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got some Irregular Miniatures 2mm "Ancients" and "Horse and Musket" figures and have painted some but never gamed with them. 28mm is easier on the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 28mm is definitely easier to paint! I am sure I will return to it in time.

      Delete
  5. That's an insane amount of color variance for 3mm. I couldn't get that much detail on 6mm....and that's if I could even bring myself to paint 6mm. One bloke in our club does 6mm - the massed effect on the bases is really stunning.

    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ. I placed an order for more 3mm yesterday. I hope to see that massed effect for myself once I get a few dozen units painted!

      Delete
  6. Hi Scott,

    These are quite simply superb! I hope you don't mind but I have borrowed a couple of pictures of your work and have featured them on my blog - a wargaming odyssey.

    I shall follow your progress in this scale with interest especially as I am also looking to use these little fellows.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, David. Share away!

      Thanks for the kind words on your blog.

      Delete