Thursday, June 7, 2018

Giant Napoleonic Commission -- Finis (image heavy)

I got the last of Glenn's figures into the mail this morning.  The giant commission is done.  

Back in May of 2015, Glenn called and told me he was selling off his 28mm armies and making the switch to 18mm.  He asked if I would be interested in painting ALL the combatants of the Napoleonic Wars using only AB Miniatures and GMB flags.  We agreed on terms, and Glenn placed the first of many orders with Eureka USA.

I started in early June of 2015 and ended in early June of 2018.  It took me almost exactly three years to paint all of Glenn's armies.  The final count of painted miniatures in this collection is 4,077 foot, 899 mounted, and 111 guns.

The result of those three years' work is, I believe, the finest collection of Napoleonic miniatures on the planet.  I carefully researched all the uniform details so that not a button is the wrong color.  Everything got at least two tone shading.  On the GAJO scale, these figures are all tens.

So what do 6,000 castings painted to a 10 look like all together?  I'll leave it to Glenn to take some proper group photos, but here is a set of images that includes everything in Glenn's collection.







Napoleon surveys his wars.


Austria-Hungary

Austrian Line Infantry

Austrian Line Infantry

Austrian Line Infantry

Hungarian Line Infantry

Austrian and Hungarian Grenadiers

Grenz and Jager

Austrian Landwehr

Austrian Artillery

Hussars

Chevaux-Leger and Uhlans

Cuirassiers and Dragoons

Infantry Casualties

Cavalry Casualties





Anglo-Allied Army

Brunswickers

Netherlanders

Hanoverians

British and KGL Cavalry

British Infantry

Guards and Rifles

The following are extras that I added to the army after the group pictures.

Hanoverian Landwehr

2nd Nassau Fusiliers

Dutch Militia

Dragoons

Light Dragoons

Artillery Casualties

Infantry Casualties

Infantry Casualties

Cavalry Casualties





France

Line Infantry

Line Infantry

Line Infantry

Line Infantry

Light Infantry

Chasseur a Cheval

Hussars

Lancers

Wurrtemburg Chevaux-leger

Dragoons

Carabiniers

Cuirassiers

Foot Artillery

Horse Artillery

Guard Infantry

Guard Cavalry

Guard Artillery

I added the following figures at various times.
Voltiguers

Infantry and Artillery Casualties

Grenadiers

Guard Chasseurs and Grenadiers

Line Infantry

Line Infantry

Line Infantry

Line Infantry

Voltiguers Skirmishing

Guard Voltiguers

Guard Fusilier-Grenadiers

Guard Skirmishers

Guard Cavalry

Cuirassiers

Cuirassiers

Cuirassiers

Carabiniers

Lancers

Light Infantry

Grenadiers and Voltiguers

1st Hussars

Chasseurs a Cheval

Skirmishers

Light Infantry and Guard Cavalry

Artillery Casualties






Prussia

Line Infantry

Landwehr

Cavalry





Russia
Line Infantry

Line Infantry

Line Infantry

Grenadiers

Grenadiers

Militia

Hussars

Lancers

Cossacks

Dragoons

Cuirassiers and Horse Artillery

Foot Artillery

Guard

Austerlitz Commanders

Leipzig Commanders

Cavalry Casualties



38 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon. Hopefully I still have an opus or two in me!

      Delete
  2. Words fail me!! Utterly phenomenal. That is also some paint rate for that number of figures. Congratulations on a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon! It worked out to six castings a day for three years. That doesn't sound to bad, right? But it adds up!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely splendid sir... well done.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aly! I feel like I accomplished something special.

      Delete
  4. Most impressive collection, casualties are atmospheric and splendid...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and Glenn has inspired me to paint up casualties for my own Napoleonic armies! I'm working on some French casualties right now.

      Delete
  5. Astounding, just what we love to see, bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular work, Scott, and a superb collection for Glenn. Of course, in a few days he's going to realize that he really needs Poles, Bavarians, Wurttemburgers, Saxons, Badeners, Westphalians, Swiss, Spanish, Danes, Swedes, Kingdom of Italy and Neapolitans. That could be another 1000 figures easily! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we will add the minor allies. After a long break!

      Delete
  7. Stunning collection. Well done! Time for a sit down and a drink, I imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, certainly! I had a nice bourbon after I shipped it.

      Delete
  8. Holy moly... amazing. Been following this collection since the start, and I have to say, it blows me away. Truly the army (or five armies!) of a lifetime. Congrats on putting together such a beautiful bit of toy soldier goodness, and Glenn, congrats on getting such an amazing collection!

    Oh, and I have to ask... who is that handsome officer on Napoleons right?;)

    -Lord Ashram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to include Glenn in his own collection was amazing!

      Delete
  9. Superb painted collection, great attention to accuracy. 6,000 pieces, thats an incredible achievement. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris! I do try to get everything correct.

      Delete
  10. Magnificent! Truly a Herculean labor. I imagine it was tough to mail them to Glen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, but it just confirmed my thinking that I need to buckle down and complete a few projects like this for myself.

      Delete
  11. I've said it before and now I have to repeat it...you've unlocked another lifetime achievement. Its astonishing and humbling to see such a masterpiece. Just WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monty. I ran into one of your gaming buddies at Little Wars. I hope he remembered to send my regards!

      Delete
  12. Looking forward to seeing your next project. Interesting work you did but hope to see something different and new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on some 28mm Carthaginian chariots right now. After that, I'm afraid it's back to AB Napoleonics, this time for me!

      Delete
  13. As the say in Paris 'kinelle!! Splendid stuff indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much, Andy! I'm going to work some Blue Moon French cavalry in for myself soon.

      Delete
  14. Nice work Scott, as always. Of course, wrong scale - now you could do with repeating that, but in 1/72...

    Amazing dedication to keep going for three years on such a project. Hats off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually bought some 1/72 figures for the first time in a long time: HaT Industries's Seven Years War Prussians. I think they will work great for gaming!

      Delete
  15. I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through my life weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how I could be transformed into a powerful person when I came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete