Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Crusader 28mm Napoleonic French Command

After some serious thought, I chose Crusader's Rank and File Napoleonic French for my next mini project.  I'll be building a line infantry battalion in 1:20 for General de Brigade.  While I'm waiting for my order to come in from Merrimack Old Glory Shipyard, and while I was waiting for the primer to dry on my next batch of commission figures, I whipped up the rest of the command pack.  This is pack RFH-25 "Napoleonic French Command in Bicorne."

I haven't seen any pictures of these miniatures anywhere on the web, at least not painted, so I took shots from multiple angles to give a good idea how they look.  Click on any of the pictures to view a larger image.


Chef de Battalion

The officer figure has a lot of character in his face.  He's scowling slightly as he advances.



Eagle Bearer

I used a 50mm Old Glory spear shaft for the eagle pole, drilling out the bottom of the eagle for a snug fit.  The flag is from Warflag.


Drummer

This is one of the few drummer figures I've ever seen where the crum cords actually have the weave sculpted.  Musicians' uniforms varied wildly between regiments, and I've never felt the inclination to do the serious research required to get them just right for each.  I took this color scheme from the Osprey.


Full Pack

This is what you get for your $9.00 ($5.40 with the army discount).  I plan on doing the trousers in various shades of tan, white, and grey to give the unit that veteran look.  The Crusader figures were a joy to paint: clean castings with good relief.  It took me about two hours to paint these four figures.  I'm looking forward to painting the rest of the battalion, but that will have to wait until I've finished my latest commission.

5 comments:

  1. Very, very nice, you have out done yourself once again !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be interested in this blog, he does Nappy and others. Good stuff!!

    http://djokergaming.wordpress.com/

    Dale out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive stuff mate, very nice mini's indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have to order some of these. I just finished painting some Crusader Saxons. They are great figs!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome I particularly like the ranker model, it has great relief.

    ReplyDelete