Tuesday, January 26, 2010

250 man ACW project, day 6 DONE!

Day six is over, and . . . I'm done! I finished a day ahead of schedule: 241 figures painted in six days. Tomorrow I think I'll rest.

I was careful to pick out the flesh highlights today, but there isn't a lot of deep relief on these figures to make it easy. I like the overall look of Battle Honors' ACW figures, but Anthony Barton got better over time. The AB Napoleonics I've painted have excellent relief, which makes them much easier to paint.

I don't know if it's the sculpts of 19th Century Miniatures's casting process, but I got a lot of misshapen figures and bent rifles.


Here's our example figure, showing each day's progress.

And here are some samples of the finished figures. I included a lot more Confederate than Union images here because there's a lot more variety in the Confederate uniforms. Finished numbers are roughly equal.




And just in case any of you aren't sure how big a 15mm figure is, here's one next to my thumbnail.

13 comments:

  1. Wow - That's very impressive Scott - you've inspired to me to try and finish about 60 or so figures in about 3 months - ha! Before Enfilade. Thanks! And congratulations. Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sir, are the man!

    I've yet to complete anything this month due to a midseason promotion, but you continue to inspire. Once the offseason rolls around I'm going to have to follow your and AJ's personal challenges and see if I can set one for myself.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, I really have no idea what to say! Bravo!!

    Best wishes

    Giles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic work Scott! My hat is off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow the figures look great!

    But the questio remains...will they fight as good as they look!!!!!

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you track how many actual hours it took you to paint them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. AJ, it was somewhere between 15 and 20 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good god man, how is your back not folded up like a pretzel?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these figures just look great nice job and thanks for your comment on my figures cheers
    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic series of articles. It is hard for me to imagine painting a batch that large.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Didn't God rest on the 7th day too?

    :)

    ReplyDelete