Saturday, January 5, 2008

Old Glory Carthaginian Citizen Spearmen





This is Old Glory PPC-01 “Citizen Spearmen.“ Old Glory gives two types of troops in this pack: three poses of unarmored levy spearmen suitable for most Carthaginian citizens and three poses of sacred band spearmen in linothorax and bronze cuirass. The pack also includes standard bearer, officer, and musician. All the figures have a round hoplite-style shield with a dimple in the center. The figures are excellent, among the best Old Glory has ever done. The faces have real character, and the details on the figures are nicely defined. I used the Old Glory short spears for these troops.

I gave the figures a certain uniformity of dress, which I find helps them look more like an actual unit of troops. Since the Carthaginians were a Phonecian people, I gave them slight darker skin than my Romans, and I made their hair black. The shields all got individual paint jobs, with most of the designs inspired by the Little Big Men shield transfers (which you can see used to good effect in the Hannibal and the Punic Wars WAB supplement).

No comments:

Post a Comment