Wednesday, March 24, 2010

64 Man Project, Day 2

I'm in a bit of a painting funk lately. My 250 man ACW project helped me jump start my production a couple of months ago, so I think it's time for another painting challenge. This time I'll try to complete two Libyan spearmen units in seven days. That's only 64 figures, but they are 28s and they do include shields. I'll also be painting these to a higher standard than my ACW figures.

I'll be using Old Glory figures with North Star spears. Yesterday morning I prepped the figures, using a Dremel to drill out the hands. I washed the figures in dishwashing detergent and allowed them to dry. Then I glued the spears inside the hands and glued the figures to popsicle sticks. Yesterday afternoon I primed the figures brown then set them aside to dry overnight. That was the first day of painting.


End of Day Two

Today I started by painting all the spear heads black. I also painted any exposed beards black, and I painted the horsehair plumes on the standard bearers black as well. I was four figures short for this project, so I used four Libyan spearmen in captured Roman mail to bring the units up to strength. I painted the mail black. I painted the plumes on the officers mudstone. This completed the first phase of basecoating.

Next I drybrushed all the spearheads with enamel silver, and I drybrushed the four mail figures silver as well. I painted the officers' and standard bearers' sword blades silver, but left the hilts brown.

Using a broad, flat brush, I drybrushed territorial beige on all the sandals and spear shafts.

I used some enamel gold on the horns and on the standard bearers' scale armor.

I drybrushed all the beards and the standard bearers' plumes with storm grey. At the same time, I drybrushed the officers' plumes with white.

I painted all the flesh with my special mix for flesh basecoat. It's darker than the basecoat I usually use for 28mm figures, but these figures will have a darker skin tone than my usual northern European types.

Finally I painted the red tunics on two sticks of figures before giving up for the day.



Here's a detail shot showing what I have done after two days' painting. Tomorrow I'll finish up the basecoats on tunics and linothorax and probably start the bronze work. I may also prep and prime the 60 shields.


7 comments:

  1. Here he goes again, doing the un-doable!

    Good luck on your challenge. I'm sure you'll do great.

    I'm also working on a challenge of my own, but it's top secret. I'll reveal it when I get the first 'phase' finished. Entire project to be completed (hopefully) by April 2nd for a game.

    64 28mm figures in 7 days is a VERY huge undertaking.... It's almost April and my yearly painting totals still haven't caught up to your 6-day output from your previous challenge!

    You inspire and befuddle me at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you and good luck! I'll be following this with interest. It was after seeing your last challenge that I started following your blog. You're an inspiration to us all. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott:

    I appreciate your dedication and hard work. I know it's equally challenging to stop and take photos of the progress. I'm pretty sure you don't use the dip method, so I will really like to see how you highlight them. Best wishes, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy I'm never able to paint 64 mini's in a year!

    Greets and keep up the nice paintjobs really inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I've been a silent follower of your blog - I'm always looking for painting tips etc, and I like the effects you create. Would you mind telling me what you primed these figures with? Was it a spray primer? If so, what make/shade? I've been experimenting with different (ie not just white or black) priming, and I like the look of that brown shade for my Greek hopites! I've tried the Humbrol dark earth spray, but in fact it is not all that dark, and is not really the primer colour I want.
    Regards
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also curious about the primer. I use gray auto primer from Lowe's, but the brown looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I primed the figures with Rustoleum flat brown enamel spray paint. It's almost an exact match for Delta Ceramcoat's "brown iron oxide," which is my default brown. The Rustoleum brown is rich enough to provide an ideal base coat for sandals, spear shafts, and bronze armor.

    ReplyDelete