I'm in a bit of a painting funk lately. My 250 man ACW project helped me jump start my production a couple of months ago, so I think it's time for another painting challenge. This time I'll try to complete two Libyan spearmen units in seven days. That's only 64 figures, but they are 28s and they do include shields. I'll also be painting these to a higher standard than my ACW figures.
I'll be using Old Glory figures with North Star spears. Yesterday morning I prepped the figures, using a Dremel to drill out the hands. I washed the figures in dishwashing detergent and allowed them to dry. Then I glued the spears inside the hands and glued the figures to popsicle sticks. Yesterday afternoon I primed the figures brown then set them aside to dry overnight. That was the first day of painting.
End of Day Two
Today I started by painting all the spear heads black. I also painted any exposed beards black, and I painted the horsehair plumes on the standard bearers black as well. I was four figures short for this project, so I used four Libyan spearmen in captured Roman mail to bring the units up to strength. I painted the mail black. I painted the plumes on the officers mudstone. This completed the first phase of basecoating.
Next I drybrushed all the spearheads with enamel silver, and I drybrushed the four mail figures silver as well. I painted the officers' and standard bearers' sword blades silver, but left the hilts brown.
Using a broad, flat brush, I drybrushed territorial beige on all the sandals and spear shafts.
I used some enamel gold on the horns and on the standard bearers' scale armor.
I drybrushed all the beards and the standard bearers' plumes with storm grey. At the same time, I drybrushed the officers' plumes with white.
I painted all the flesh with my special mix for flesh basecoat. It's darker than the basecoat I usually use for 28mm figures, but these figures will have a darker skin tone than my usual northern European types.
Finally I painted the red tunics on two sticks of figures before giving up for the day.
Here's a detail shot showing what I have done after two days' painting. Tomorrow I'll finish up the basecoats on tunics and linothorax and probably start the bronze work. I may also prep and prime the 60 shields.